Tips for Beginners

Moderator: bogon12

Tips for Beginners

Postby bogon12 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:27 pm

*draft*

Hi, this page is for new openarena players. If you are constantly getting fragged, we made this site for you.
Well, where to start. I can remember a few things that I didn't understand at first...

1) aimbots! Yes, there are aimbots! But no, you probably didn't see one.
Here is a common openarena aimbot: . Pretty obvious, right?
More on aimbots here. http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4419.0
2) Why are people yelling about camping? Camping is when you stay in one place and snipe people. A special category of camping is spawn camping, where you set up behind a spawn point and frag people as they spawn. Some people think camping is awful, some people could care less and of course there is a world in between. Some people camp on purpose just to irritate or because they don't realize some don't like it, some people camp on purpose because they think it's legit. Some people aren't camping at all - they trying to leave the spawn point, but people keep trying to kill them while they leave, or some people are new, and have a hard time getting from the spawn point alive. Some people aren't camping and others are just, knowingly or accidentally, falsely accusing them.
3) Why are these other players so good? Well, some of them have been playing *for* *ever*.
But, they also have spent time on 3 things - a) setup and technology b) experience c) movement.
Read on here for more info on this, but also know that openarena is built on the quake 3 code base,
and most of the stuff you might google up about quake 3 also applies to openarena. http://www.google.com/search?q=quake+3+tips
4) How are these people so fast? They are "strafe jumping". http://www.google.com/search?q=quake+3+strafe

Well, we want to help you get started in openarena. that's why we made this page. But part of that is the Zen Mastery of learning to love sucking. I think it's best described by this interview with Stephen Colbert:
But a certain fearlessness is a job prerequisite. "The first director I had at Second City
said, 'You have to learn to love the bomb,' and I didn't know what he meant for a very long
time," Colbert says. "But there's something nice about getting to the point where you enjoy
the feeling that people aren't laughing. ... But there's a buzz to failing and not dying."
What I mean by this for OA is that if you want to be 'winning' next week, well, probably not going to happen. You have to learn to focus on enjoying advancing in your skills, as modest as they may be. And the people that I know that have gotten good tended to experiment and work on one skill at a time. One guy spent a month in death match using nothing but rail gun, which obviously was hard on his score, but really helped improve his rail. (And, helped him learn where to find the rail on all the maps he played.)

Everyone starts new, and new players are going to be new for a little while, so keep a sense of humor about it, keep faith that you'll skill will grow.
So maybe that is the first thing to talk about - some overview of the different skill levels...

Noobs - No shame in being a beginner, everyone is a beginner when they are... uh, beginning. Noobs are characterized by not knowing how much they do not know about openarena. :^) (We hope to fix that here.)

Midlevel players - To start on the road to being a mid-skill player, you have to get some clues, and then play for a while. You'll know you've made it to mid-level player when you are getting a reliable 3 frags a minute in death match games, or you are actually helping in some way on capture the flag.

Highlevel players - You are a high level player when you are almost always leading your team in points on ctf (capture the flag) or you are nabbing 20 or more frags in 3 or 4 minutes of death match.

Elite - Make highlevel players feel like noobs. :^( (REMEMBER: there is always a bigger fish in the ocean)

Ok, so what do you now know that you don't even know?

1) setup and technology - any decent player in openarena knows somethings. They know what the console is, they know what a config is, and they have tweaked it out. This thread is all about console and config http://nineinchnoobs.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23. They also have set up technology like their frames per second and mouse. This thread is all about those things.

2) experience - no one is good at anything without practice and experience. There are simple advantages like knowing your way around a map - where the red armor is, the powerups, the weapons, knowing what weapons are best for various situations, etc.

3) movement - For capture the flag especially, but dm as well, movement is very important - and specifically "strafe jumping" which is a way to move quickly in oa (and quake) and circle jumps, which is a way to jump across larger gaps from a stand still and to get a fast start on a strafe run.

And here are a few basic links to the OpenArena wiki for some orientation type information...
WEAPONS http://openarena.wikia.com/wiki/Manual/Weapons
OTHER STUFF http://openarena.wikia.com/wiki/Manual/Items
AND OTHER-OTHER STUFF http://openarena.wikia.com/wiki/Manual/Techniques
bogon12
Site Admin

Re: Tips for Beginners

Postby bogon12 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:22 am

Looks great. This bogon12 twelve person is very wise.
bogon12
Site Admin

Postby CoNCoN » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:09 am

Indeed He is, and so modest too!
:)
CoNCoN
Site Admin

Postby MechYoda » Wed May 09, 2012 6:06 am

Good information Bogon and I'll recommend it to OA newbies looking to improve their game.

For the newbies who are reading this thread, keep in mind Bogon's wisdom here is generally true, but not all of it is always true for all situations. For example the number of frags per minute people of different skills levels get can vary a lot based on number of players in the game, their skill, the map being played, etc. Also, there's some different approaches to the game so you might see apparent (or even actual) contradictions between the advice given you by different advanced players. In each case, try out their advice and remember what they're saying is probably true for them in their games and adopting it will probably help you; even if you abandon it later as you develop your own natural style.

PS - When I first started playing online games I was given the following definition of a noob. A newbie is someone who is simply new to the game and therefore doesn't know the very basics of the game. Things like how to move, what the controls are, in fps games switching weapons, etc. Because of his abject cluelessness he can inadvertantly cause problems for and frustrate others when they expect him to do things that anyone who knows anything about the game would do. This can and does often include his own teammates. As Bogon said, there's no shame in being a newbie, everyone has to start somewhere. A noob on the other hand is exactly like a newbie except that he isn't new to the game and in fact may have been playing for years. :D
MechYoda
Site Admin

Return to Tips